Camp Rockwell 2020 Update

Camp Rockwell 2020 Update

I hope you are all keeping well during these very difficult times. Thank you for your patience while the College academic year was being finalised and while we worked our way through the challenges that this pandemic has raised.

The College Management, Camp Management & the College Board of Management have considered the most up to date health advice carefully and it is with a heavy heart that we are announcing that Camp Rockwell 2020 will not be able to take place this summer. I assure you we have not taken this decision lightly. We know many had concerns about sending children to any group situation including camps and that is completely understandable, especially where your child or a family member may have an underlying illness or have a person cocooning at home. We also know so many of you still wanted your child to come to the Camp. We have been inundated with calls and emails from those who had not booked and wanted to join us. I wish to thank you for your patience, we really did want to wait as long as possible to see if we could provide the Camp experience to your child this summer.

We carefully considered the Taoiseach’s announcements regarding the lifting of Phase 2 restrictions from June 8th and more specifically the HSE and government guidance on summer camps and groups of 15 outdoors. However, much of the integral offering of Camp could not be safely provided e.g. indoor activities, pool, catering , changing rooms, supporting children with underlying conditions, bus transport, shop or vending machines, swapping groups, changing of leaders, some outdoor activities etc. While we were confident we could offer a very different timetable as our lake could function, we still had many concerns for the campers and our staff particularly in relation to physical distancing given the interaction of campers with lifeguards, kayakers, senior staff, management etc. At all times we strive for the safety and wellbeing of our staff and campers. Therefore, having taken the time to weigh up all aspects of the programme, factoring in all available advice including, HSE guidelines, HSA workplace protocol’s, Nphet & Government advice etc., we have made this difficult decision. We could not safely offer the Camp Rockwell experience that the children expect and the one we provide so well each year.

All those with bookings will have received an email with their options. If you did not receive the email please check your junk folder. I have found that some entered their email incorrectly when booking so if you have not received the email contact us via and we will send out the email again to you.

Thank you for entrusting your child to us year after year and we thank you for the lovely messages of support that we get from so many each year in appreciation of the excellent job that our staff do in providing a unique, multi activity, fun filled, safe camp for your child. We are very sad that you won’t get to meet and celebrate with us again this Summer, please trust me when I say we did give this every consideration to try and make it work. We know our campers will be sad, especially when they were so hopeful that Camp might run, so were we. Camp, like so many of you, will have a postponed birthday party too.

If you have any queries please email and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Virtual hugs & high fives to you all. See you in 2021.

Best wishes and stay safe

Kindest regards

Joan Kennedy

Camp Director

Cookies Settings Accept All Cookies